Book Review: Deviant by Adrian McKinty

Description and Picture from Goodreads.com
Danny Lopez is new in town. He made a mistake back home in Las Vegas, and now he has landed at an experimental school in Colorado for “tough cases.” At the Cobalt Charter School, everything is scripted—what the teachers say, what the students reply—and no other speaking is allowed. This super controlled environment gives kids a second chance to make something of themselves. But with few freedoms, the students become sitting ducks for a killer determined to “clean up” Colorado Springs.

I was caught off guard in the first chapter of this book. While reading about a cat that was to be sacrificed disturbed me, I decided to skip a couple of pages and get into the rest of the story.  But I found as usual, what happens in the beginnings of some stories, usually ends up showing it's face again later in the book. 
I never got caught up with any of the characters, caring what happened to them or even liking any of them very much, including the main character Danny. Danny's character never grabbed my attention, I found him boring and never really stood out. There were points that I really wanted to root for him, but I never did get a solid connection.  What did keep me reading was the school, it's teachers and how it is run. I found that the setting was very intense and had potential for a scarier read. 
I felt that while reading this story I was very disconnected to the plot as well. I wanted to see more dramatic things happen, but instead I felt that things just seemed to click into place a little too easy. The mystery began to really lose my interest but I wanted to see how the story ended. Keeping in mind that another sacrifice scene would come into play I was pleasantly surprised with the ending. 
I really hate writing up a negative review, but as always if you have any interest I encourage you to give this one a try. I cannot like every story I read, but am very determined to try. 
I was very interested to see that this author does have other books published and I am very excited to check them out.
Happy  Reading, Thank You for stopping by the blog today.

Comments

  1. I had this one for review and I could not get past the first couple of chapters.... I don't think this particular book is for me... :-(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?