The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie,


With his first foray into teen literature, acclaimed author Sherman Alexie packs a punch in this absorbing novel about a Native American boy searching for a brighter future. At once humorous and stirring, Alexie's novel follows Junior, a resident of the Spokane reservation who transfers out of the reservation's school -- and into a nearby rich, all-white farm school -- in order to nurture his desire to become a cartoonist. Junior encounters resistance there, a backlash at home, and numerous family problems -- all the while relaying his thoughts and feelings via amusing descriptions and drawings. Having already garnered a National Book Award for Young Adult Literature, this moving look at race and growing up is definitely one to pick up


I had only heard good things about this book. As you may know Banned Books Week ended on October 1st and this was one of the books on my list that I did not get to during that week. Even though I do own a copy of the physical book I decided to check out the audio from the library instead. Although I did not like the narrator's voice at first, it really did grow on me as I listened more and got the feel of the main character and the storyline.
I was surprised at how much it had me laughing, the voice of the main character was fantastic. Even though he is not in the best of situations and living arrangements his whole out take on life was amazing. There were some very Male/guy jokes in the books that had me giggling and some that made me roll my eyes. But as a female I still found it amusing and very truthful.
Fantastic characters, very funny story and real-life relate-able stories. I know the book has some drawings in it as well and intend on picking it up for another read through.
I can see some perspective into why the book would be banned, but it was completely worth the read and very entertaining. I give it 5 stars

Comments

  1. I plan on getting this from the library soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive heard of this one but was not sure if it was my type of thing.... It sounds really interesting.. I might have to give this one a go... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?