Static by Tawny Stokes


During the summer before her senior year, 17 year old band groupie, Salem Vale, has been following her favorite punk rockers, Malice, from gig to gig hoping that one night she might get backstage and meet the sinisterly sexy guys. She’s been saving her virginity for the lead singer Thane. One fateful evening she gets her wish. It’s a dream come true.

Except the dream turns to a nightmare when she wakes up in a dumpster, tossed away like yesterday’s trash, with no memory of what happened the night before. She feels strange, different, as if something is trying to get out. Soon she realizes she’s changing…turning into something not quite human.

Now a hunger deep inside claws at her to feed, to siphon energy from those around her. Before she can do just that, Trevor, the band’s roadie shows up and stops her from killing. With his help she learns to control the hunger inside, because he’s just like her. And in return he wants her help to do one little thing…

Help him kill the members of Malice


At first glance at the cover I expected I would be getting into a contemporary novel about a girl in a band, but when you read that synopsis, it's anything but.
I devoured this book when I started reading it pulled me in. I always tend to be on the side of the "bad guys" in the books. I love the dark side that challenges, overpowers and sometimes protect the main characters. It happened again to me here. I always find myself asking, if this (main) character cannot overcome and fight back from what is put upon them, how can I truly root for them? Why would I recommend this book to others if I don't appreciate what the characters are put through?
As she has become more than human (but I will not spoil you with what exactly happens)there is a lot of heavy make out scenes and sexual tension that pushes Salem to act on her desire, or urges. Now that kinda sounds dirty, but really the story does not go into explicit details beyond what can be found in other Young Adult novels.
The cover really starts to make sense a little more than halfway through the book. The characters in the band and Salem begin to really get intertwined and get more complex. I really liked the twists and the idea of "shadow ways" I cannot remember if she actually refers to it as "shadow walking" but that's how I remember it in my head. It's creative and intriguing.
The chemistry between Trevor and Salem was my favorite part of the story. How there was always an edge of uncertainty when they were around each other or figuring things out. I think Salem is a fantastic lead character that does fight back in her way and takes on new challenges, she is somebody I rooted for.
Great characters, twists and energy happening in this one, I give it 5 stars, highly recommend.


Goodreads Page Amazon Link 0.99 for limited time on Kindle!
http://tawnystokes.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tawny-Stokes-Author/202358929804134
http://twitter.com/#!/TawnyStokes

Comments

  1. Anonymous11/22/2011

    Thanks for your great review. I love books that pull the reader in like that. I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great review... This book is a bit surprising lol! From the look of the cover I thought it was going to be a fun tean read but I am liking the sound of the twist... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?