Audiobook Review Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful #1) by Yvonne Woon



On the morning of her sixteenth birthday, Renée Winters was still an ordinary girl. She spent her summers at the beach, had the perfect best friend, and had just started dating the cutest guy at school. No one she'd ever known had died. But all that changes when she finds her parents dead in the Redwood Forest, in what appears to be a strange double murder.

After the funeral Renée’s wealthy grandfather sends her to Gottfried Academy, a remote and mysterious boarding school in Maine, where she finds herself studying subjects like Philosophy, Latin, and the “Crude Sciences.”

It’s there that she meets Dante Berlin, a handsome and elusive boy to whom she feels inexplicably drawn. As they grow closer, unexplainable things begin to happen, but Renée can’t stop herself from falling in love. It’s only when she discovers a dark tragedy in Gottfried’s past that she begins to wonder if the Academy is everything it seems.

Little does she know, Dante is the one hiding a dangerous secret, one that has him fearing for her life.

Dead Beautiful is both a compelling romance and thought-provoking read, bringing shocking new meaning to life, death, love, and the nature of the soul.


Renee discovers her dead parents in the middle of a forest. There is something mysterious about their deaths that she has never felt comfortable about. She goes to live with her grandfather who decides to move her across the country to attend Gottfried academy for “her safety.” As soon as Renee starts there she knows there is something different about this school. The school monitor seems out to get her, she finds that she has a keen ability to find dead things and there is a curse on the school and students have been known to die there. Not to mention the mysterious Latin classes and student monitors that are up to something. Even the handsome and mysterious Dante has a deep attraction to her that he has never felt for anyone before.

There was not a boring moment in this story. The unraveling of the plot and the pacing is what kept me hooked. I thought there was a great mixture of characters. I liked the story line and the mystery behind what is happening at the school and her timing in finding out the events leading up to the end was all perfect timing. Even though I was not a huge fan of the how mushy the romance factor was in this one, it did not over power any of the main plot and events leading to the ending.

The story is put together very well. I know that I should have been able to see what was coming at the end, but I really didn't see it. The unraveling of the plot and the growing suspense kept me sucked into the story and I hated having to put it down. I have to say that I did find the romance between Renee and Dante a little on the mushy side, maybe a little bit too fast, but overall it really didn't cause me to want to rate it lower than 5 stars

I wanted to add a note here that I listened to the audio book on this one. I thought the narrator was fantastic in portraying the voice of Renee and I was hoping to find the second book Life Eternal in audio as well, but I couldn't wait for audible.com to get it in stock before I just ended up buying the physical book because I really don't want to wait to see what happens next, so you'll see that review soon!

Comments