Struck by Jennifer Bosworth




Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.


This book did something to me that others that contain the same aspects in it have not been unable to do. First there is insta-love. All it took was one look at the guy and the girl believes he is her destiny. Second the heavy religious aspects to the story.
I am ok with insta-love, but this one I did struggle with a little bit because of just how much the main character needed the boy. There was just a little too much dependence on the guy before she really knew what he was about, or even his last name for that matter. I did appreciate the fact that she does go back and forth with her emotions and it was a struggle for her at some points in the story.

Secondly, religion in books I usually avoid like the plague. It's hard for me to read a book that I don't feel like I'm being preached too, but this was handled well. The religion is integral to the plot. The prophet and the group that oppose him are both religious groups, and the main character is stuck in the middle of the battle.

I was immediately attracted to the book because of this cover. I have been reading a lot of dystopian and post-apocalyptic novels and am enjoying the ride. This looked right up my ally and really lived up to the expectations I was holding for it. The main character is attracted to lightning. She has scars all of her body from the effect of getting struck so many times. After a huge earthquake hits California the cities are in a state of emergency trying to get food and supplies in. The prophet is rising in popularity, but not all people believe in him or his preachings. Eventually through a new group that forms at school and the new boy she meets Mia and her family get stuck right in the middle of the struggles between the groups. She maybe the only person that can get her family, family and quite possibly the whole world out of this mess safely.

I read through this story so fast, it only took me a day and I really want to read it again.

Comments

  1. hmm.. I really want to read this book, I thought that the plot was new and different but I have heard some good things about it and some people didn't like it, I am kind of disappointed with the instalove though, I am the same way sometimes I can not be bothered by it but, sometimes I hate it. Great Review!

    your newest follower,
    Kristin
    youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?