Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent (Soul Screamers #6)



I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school... Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life...

I have said it before. I will say it again. Every single book in this series gets better with each new book. I LOVE this series.

I also have no idea how to review this book without any spoilers either. At the end of the last book a lot of changes happen in Kaylee's life and I was completely itching with anticipation to see where the story went in this one. Needless to say I was not disappointed.

Firstly SWOON *Tod* oh, this boy knew exactly what to say at the right time. He is like her knight in shining armor, always in the right place at the right time to calm her and support her. In the first couple of books I was team Nash. I was proud that there was not any sign of any love triangles until several books into the series. But when Nash got involved with the Demon's Breathe, I along with Kaylee really started to fall out of love with him. I rooted awhile longer hoping that maybe they could really do it, but then evil Sabine comes into the picture. I really wanted to slap that girl.

It's not normal for me to become so emotionally invested into characters. There are only a few series that I read each new book obsessively, and this is one of those series. I was overly happy to see the events unroll as they did for Kaylee.

Although she faces some of the most horrific events of her..uh "life" in this book. She is such a likeable character that you really want her to win. I was so devastated with some of the things that she had to do, it was so heartbreaking to see her have to go through so much in such a short amount of time.

If you have not picked up this series yet, what are you waiting for?
5 stars
"Better with every book"
Audiobook Review:
Overall 5 stars
Performance 5 stars
Story 5 stars
If you could sum up Before I Wake in three words, what would they be?

addicting, heartbreaking, entertaining

Who was your favorite character and why?

Tod, amazingly supportive and devoted to Kaylee.

What does Amanda Ronconi bring to the story that you wouldn’t experience if you just read the book?

emotion, gives great visuals to characters reactions to each other through vocals, timing

Was there a moment in the book that particularly moved you?

yes, but it was the climax and I'm not going to spoil anybody. Very heartbreaking what Kaylee has to go through in this book

Any additional comments?

this book gets better with each addition to the series. I highly recommend it, one of my favorites of all time

Comments