Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock




Mackenzie and Amy were best friends.

Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer:

A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome--also known as the werewolf virus--is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boy-friend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock's thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spell-binding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love


When it has come down to picking if I am #teamwerewolf or #teamvampire I have always chosen team vampire. I have always strayed away from reading books that are full of werewolves or shape shifters concentrating on wolf form. After winning a signed copy of Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (one of my favorite reads last year) I decided I would try it and now with Hemlock being one of my favorite reads of the year,I am officially confused. Werewolves have managed to find a priority place in my reading stack along with ghosts, vampires and witches. (all of my favorites)
Hemlock was one of those reads that had me mesmerized. Every second that I was not actually reading the book, I was thinking about the book.
The main character is flawed, and the author really puts her through a lot in this book. This book is also a bit darker than what I expected. There is one spot in the book where I actually said aloud "omg she took it there"
If it were me in this situation, I would have left town a long time ago. The fact that she stays and tries her best to put the pieces back together again after Amy dies, really says a lot about her character.
I have read some reviews about this book containing a love triangle. I have to disagree with that. It's pretty clear here that she is dedicated to her boyfriend Kyle. A love triangle would consist of her having more than friendly feelings for somebody else as well, but I didn't see that here. If you prefer love triangle situations in books, you may enjoy the fact that Mac's boyfriend Kyle has some serious separation issues from his ex-girlfriend. That situation could be considered a love triangle, and leads to some intense and action packed scenes in the book.

I have a full and possibly better worded and informative review of the book on my goodreads page, but I wanted to put up some thoughts on the blog as well.
I really enjoyed this book,I read it months ago and still find myself thinking about it.

Comments