Secrets (The Hero Chronicles #1) by Tim Mettey




The Midwest lies in complete ruins after a catastrophic disaster kills tens of thousands and leaves hundreds of thousands injured. Nicholas Keller emerges out of the devastation as a shining light of hope for all. But his newfound fame comes with a price that his aunt will not let him pay. They flee into the shadows in order to protect his secret. However, as Nicholas begins his sophomore year at his fifth school in five years, strange and unexpected things begin to happen. He soon tumbles into a web of doomed love, extraordinary talents and a secret past, which threatens the lives of everyone he cares about. It’s up to Nicholas to confront the truth, even if it means his own death



There was one constant throughout this book and that was the mystery behind why Nicholas had to be kept in the background. Always hidden behind the scenes, could not invite friends over and seemed to be talented at any activity he put his mind into accomplishing. When he steps outside his aunt's comfort zone and tries out for football, it puts him in the immediate spotlight at his new school. (also one of her worst fears)

When it came down to really trying to get to know Nicholas, as I reader I became more conflicted as the story went on. By the time I finished the book there was a part of me that wished the secret wasn't left so far into the end of the book, instead brought forward into revelation earlier in the book. The shy, cowering character that Nicholas is in the majority of the book is not too attractive to me as a reader. I did like who he started to become in the end, and would have liked to see more of that.

As the story starts getting more detailed in to the mystery, the fact that Nicholas has a destiny that is beyond his control is appealing. There is a whole world out there that he has yet to discover and for me, some questions that have been left open,to be continued in the sequel I'm sure.

My favorite character was his aunt, Cora. Most likely because I am a female myself her perspective was more relatable for me. I was happy to see that she plays a major roll in the book and was a constant and developing character just as much as Nicholas is.

I do feel that this story has appeal for both boys and girls. A little sports, a little romance and most of all, the supernatural.

Comments