The Wild Queen: The Days and Nights of Mary Queen of Scots (Young Royals #7)

by

Mary Stuart was just five years old when she was sent to France to be raised alongside her future husband. But when the frail young king dies, eighteen-year-old Mary is stripped of her title as Queen of France and set adrift in the harsh world, alone. Determined to reign over what is rightfully hers, Mary returns to Scotland. Hopingthat a husband will help her secure the coveted English throne, she marries again, but the love and security she longs for elude her. Instead, the fiery young queen finds herself embroiled in a murder scandal that could cost her the crown. And her attempts to bargain with her formidable “sister queen,” Elizabeth I of England, could cost her her very life.
Hardcover, 420 pages  Published June 19th 2012 by Harcourt Children's Books
ISBN  0152061886 (ISBN13: 9780152061883
 

When I was sent a copy of this book for review by the publisher I had not heard of this series before and was very excited to read it. I was mesmerized by the cover and the title. When I did jump into it I did have my hopes up for a wild adventure, causing uproar, fun antics. 

This story does have a lot of factual history and at times there is uproar and political escapades. It was not as rambunctious as I suppose I was hoping for, but it is very clear that a lot of research went into the story and very well written. 

The book covers her whole life from birth to death. It gives an inside look to the opinions of the times and how the royalty looked upon what is best for the people and their role, not only as the decision makers but their own lives as well. 

I admit that I did not know hardly anything about Mary Stuart before picking up the book. And it was a fun way to learn more about her and the time she lived. I did look into the other books of the Young Royals series and found other titles that I find appealing and looking forward to reading. 

Overall the story is enjoyable, a historical young adult read that is very well written and an entertaining way of learning.

Comments